Bougainville Human Rights Committee (BHRC) calls on all fellow Bougainvilleans to respect the sanctity of human life and stop accusing and killing people for alleged sorcery.
We have received reports of more than forty murders over the last four years in Bougainville following accusations of sorcery. Bougainvilleans need to take responsibility. We need to take action in our communities from today to stop our people from continuing these practices and begin protecting one another.
Over K265,000 in claims have been reportedly lodged with the Autonomous Bougainville Government by individuals seeking compensation payment for helping in just one recent case of sorcery related violence.
People should not make claims for payment for helping victims out of the kindness of their own heart, and the Government should not entertain such claims.
North Bougainville Humans Rights Committee plans to meet with the President to demand the Autonomous Bougainville Government’s action, including the following;-
· Publicly condemn all forms of sorcery related violence;
· Take action to prevent sorcery related violence and protect our communities;
· Refuse to pay invoices for charity offered by individuals to sorcery related victims;
· Set up a Human Rights Commission for the Autonomous Region of Bougainville (as per the provision existing within the Bougainville Peace Process Agreement and the Papua New Guinea Constitution);
· Compel the Bougainville Police Service to investigate and prosecute all cases of sorcery related violence, including the recent Rumbali case in Bana District.