Chamber saddened with loss of life in fire

CAPTION: Fire officers at the scene of the incident at Nadi’s Main Street yesterday morning.


Nadi, Fiji, January 15, 2013. The Nadi Chamber of Commerce and Industry is deeply saddened with the loss of a life during an early morning fire at a retail outlet in the main street of Nadi on Monday, January 14.

Chamber president Doctor Ram Raju said the incident was a very sad and tragic one for the town.

“The loss of an innocent life and the destruction caused to the shops could have been avoided if due care was taken,” Dr Raju said.

“We are extremely saddened and sympathize with the relatives of the deceased and also pray for the recovery of the burnt victim, Mr Rajendra Singh, Managing director of Hizz and Herz.”

Pix 2 - Dr Ram Raju

Dr Ram Raju

Dr Raju said it was too early to speculate the actual cause of the fire and subsequent explosion that was reported.

“Nadi has been rocked and shaken badly with natural disasters of late and we were once again restoring and rebuilding our respective businesses. This latest incident is naturally a setback.

“I just hope investigations are completed as soon as possible and other adjacent shops affected by the fire will be able to reopen for business soon.”

Dr Raju also commended the National Fire Authority for their quick response and preventing the fire from spreading to other shops in the street.


Related article: –


scroll to top