By SHELYN MANI
The Embassy of France in Fiji together and the Alliance Française in Suva are organizing from the 17th to the 21st of June “La Fête de la Musique”, a week long music festival absolutely free.
La Fête de la Musique is celebrated every year in France on June 21st, the first day of summer. This event was initiated in 1983 by the French Government to have music on the streets and make it accessible to all. The minister of culture wanted music to come out of conservatories, concert halls and opera and besiege the street. During the day, classical musicians, jazz & contemporary music will fill the streets of French cities. The concerts are free; bystanders will sing, dance and party until late in the night.
Today, la Fête de la Musique is celebrated worldwide, including in Fiji!
In Suva, this year’s guest of honor is the String Quartet of the Conservatory of Music in New Caledonia: violins and cellos. The Quartet is sponsored by the Government of New Caledonia and it will offer two concerts: one (invited guests only) at the ICT-Japan Center (USP) and another one, totally free and open to all, at the Playhouse (Fiji Arts Club). The String Quartet will perform along with the Vude Queen Laisa Vulakoro, The Fiji Art Club Choir and the Suva Conservatory of Music Choir.
The New Caledonian musicians will also hold a master class for students at the FNU Music Department in Raiwai and students from schools where French is taught.
A Week long Music Festivals Programme
- 17 June: RAKO PASEFIKA @ 7pm – Venue: Alliance Française, 92 Ratu Sukuma Rd. (FREE Admission)
- 18 June: GULNARA @ 6.30pm – Venue: Grand Pacific Hotel (invited guests only)
- 19 June: NEW CALEDONIA STING QUARTET @ 6pm – Venue: ICT Japan Centre USP (invited guests only)
- 20 June: NEW CALEDONIA STING QUARTET @ 7pm – Venue: Playhouse / Fiji Arts Club (FREE Admission)
- 21 June: Open Stage for 12 bands from 2pm-11pm – Venue: Fiji Museum (FREE Admission)
(Complete program available on either the French Embassy or Alliance Française de Suva Facebook page).