CAPTION: Prime Minister Commodore Voreqe Bainimarama with the Fiji delegation during the meeting with Chinese President Xi Jingping.
Excellency, Mr. Xi Jinping, President of the People’s of the Republic of China
- Ni sa BulaVinaka! Nihao! and Warm Greetings Your Excellency.
- I am deeply honoured to extend Fiji’s sincere appreciation and gratitude for the invitation extended to me to visit this great land of the People’s Republic of China. The courtesies that we have been accorded thus far had been splendid and greatly appreciated.
- At the onset, may I personally congratulate you your Excellency on your accession to the leadership helm of this great country. I am deeply convinced that under your stern leadership, you will leverage the People’s Republic of China to an even greater height that will not only flourish in the global scene, but more so, to mutually benefit the peoples of our two countries.
- I am equally delighted and humbled to learn that I am the first Pacific Island Leader to be granted such honour to set foot on your great country since you assumed the prestigious position of the Presidency of the People’s Republic of China. Excellency, as you are also aware, Fiji was the first country in the Pacific to recognise and formalise diplomatic relations with PRC.
- Excellency, your invitation to me is a clear demonstration of the warm and cordial relationship between our two countries that has grown from strength to strength for over three decades, particularly in recent years.
- At this juncture, I would like to convey the sincere appreciations of my Government and all Fijians for China’s unyielding support to Fiji that has provided the much-needed support and impetus for Fiji’s socio-economic growth and development.
- With China’s assistance, we have witnessed increased access to essential services like health and education, bridges linking communities, upgrading of infrastructure and public utilities, which are significantly contributing to the improvement of our livelihoods and empowering Fijians. In this connection, you might recall the Legalega Mushroom Project which Your Excellency brought to Fiji and no doubt when implemented will bring in positive developments to our Fijian people.
- Excellency, as you are aware, Fiji is at an exciting time in our history in building a better Fiji. We are now completing the open and transparent dialogue for Fiji’s new Constitution in preparation for the 2014 national elections. This is the culmination of my Government’s reform agenda and a new beginning for Fiji that will mark the dawn of a new era.
- The vision of my Government has been steadfast. The dreams and aspirations of our Fijian people for “A Better Fiji for All” and its pathway is encapsulated in our “Roadmap for Democracy and Sustainable Socio-Economic Development 2009 – 2014.” Excellency, I firmly believe that you will empathise with our cause to build a better Fiji. With your unwavering commitment, we will realise our vision.
- Lastly, I take this opportunity to convey to you our well wishes, continued prosperity and good health, as you proceed in your esteemed role in leading this great country.
- Once again, thank you very much for this opportunity to visit your beautiful country and it is my fervent hope that this Official Visit will foster and further strengthen our bilateral relations for sustained and long-term prosperity of our two peoples and great countries.
VinakaVakalevu and Xiexie