Two more house fires in the weekend

Media Release – 18th February 2013


  1. Fire


Police are once again appealing to members of the community to be careful when leaving their homes vacant.

This is due to the increase in the number of fires within our community.

Yesterday there were two cases of fire reported to one at Jittu Estate in Suva and the second one at Malolo in Nadi.

Police receive a report of fire at 296 Jittu Estate yesterday where a three bedroom timber and corrugated iron house was destroyed by fire. The owners –  Anare Are, 49yrs, self employed was  not at home when the fire started.

The fire was believed to have started from a lit mosquito coil which was placed in their bedroom. Estimated cost of damage $15,000.00. Nil casulties. The house was not insured. 

The second fire was reported at the Nadi Police Station where a 5 flat concrete      dwelling house of Umesh Chand of Malolo Nadi, 35yrs, self employed caught        fire and got completely destroyed with its contents.

House was rented by 4 tenants. Cost of damage to contents yet to be estimated     and cost of damage to the building is $95,000.00. There were no casualities. 


scroll to top