Captain Cook Cruises Fiji has successfully raised FJ$17,000 for Cure Kids Fiji since announcing their partnership 12 months ago. The funds have had a huge impact in addressing some of the most urgent child health challenges in Fiji and helped achieve significant improvements for these children, and their families throughout the country.
“Cure Kids Fiji is very grateful to Captain Cook Cruises and their guests for their commitment to making a real difference in the lives of our children, and we look forward to continuing to work together to strengthen vital health programs for Fijian children”, says Jennifer Miller, Cure Kids Fiji.
According to Tony Acland, General Manager, Captain Cook Cruises Fiji, “We are thrilled to have raised these funds for Cure Kids Fiji and have been able to help so many children and their families.”
“Our Reef Endeavour guests have been so supportive of our fundraising efforts and are more than happy to pay the optional $1 per room per night charge that goes directly to Cure Kids Fiji. We look forward to supporting this great charity for many years to come.” Continues Mr Acland.
Cure Kids Fiji has been working in Fiji since 2006 to improve the health of Fijian children through research and evidence-based child health programs, namely the Fiji Rheumatic Heart Disease (RHD) Prevention & Control Program, and the Fiji Oxygen Project. Too many Fijian children lose their lives to illnesses that are both treatable and preventable in other parts of the world; these programs provide sustainable, robust life-saving solutions.
Key Achievements of the RHD Prevention & Control Programme since 2014:
- 4,000+ patients across Fiji benefiting from Fiji’s first online RHD patient information system
- 2600+ health workers trained in providing best-practice care to patients.
- 1000+ RHD patients and carers benefiting from community building & support group activities.
- Almost 300% increase in national patient adherence to treatment programme
- Successful pilot of innovative model for early detection of RHD cases in schools.
Key Achievements of the Fiji Oxygen Project:
- 22 oxygen concentrators installed throughout 4 health facilities around Fiji
- 130+ clinical and technical staff trained in detection and treatment
- 4500+ patients nationwide treated with oxygen
In additional to the optional $1 per room per night charged to guests on MV Reef Endeavour, Captain Cook Cruises Fiji works help promote Cure Kids Fiji and the work they do through raising awareness and educating their guests, the people of Fiji, and Captain Cook Cruises staff.
Captain Cook Cruises Fiji operate three, four, seven and eleven-night cruises around the inner and remote islands of Fiji onboard small ship, MV Reef Endeavour. The company also operates a full day Tivua Island Day cruise, a half day Lazy Lunch cruise to Tivua Island and a Sunset Dinner Cruise.